Chorltonville was the brainchild of two members of the congregation of
the Cavendish Chapel at All Saints. James Herbert Dawson was a Manchester
draper and William John Vowles a boot and shoesalesman who hailed from the
south.It was their intention to provide better homes for those who lived
in unsalubrious area such as Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock, but things did
not turn out as envisaged and Chorltonville became one of the most desirable
After the completion of Chorltonville in 1911, there were visits from the
photographers of the major publishers of picture postcards. The date is
1912/13 and the privet hedges have barely started to show themselves.
All material is taken from 'Looking Back at Chorlton-cum-Hardy', by John
Lloyd, courtesy of Willow Publishing, whose permission is gratefully acknowledged.